Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Jon Stewart Part III: He's Worse than Ever!

After watching tonight's show, I realize that yesterday's entry was wishful thinking. The new format has only reinforced Stewart's blowhard tendencies. Today he had Bernard Goldberg on -- in a guest segment that took up half the show -- just so he could ridicule his book "100 People Who Are Destroying America." As his ditto-head (that's right, he echoes Rush Limbaugh) audience cheered his every line, Jon-Jon refused to let his guest even finish a sentence. It was worse than rude, it was pathological. Here is a man addicted to approbation for his most banal thoughts. He mocked his guest for suggesting that, perhaps, television was getting too coarse for families. I probably wouldn't like Goldberg's book, but I instantly took his side as Jon repeatedly cut him off to preach his trite sermons: "well maybe there are more bad words on TV, but segregation, racial inequality: those are the real bad things," (wild audience applause) as if one brain can't simultaneously believe that segregation was wrong AND that television is coarsening. As if one has to be pro-segregation to long for the cleaner movies and TV shows of the 1950s. As if Desparate Housewives is a necessary consequence of Brown v. Board of Education.
My wife has already sworn off the Daily Show after Jon's childish display, and I may follow suit. I won't promise anything though. I just hope SNL or MAD gets the stones to make fun of Jon soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Rick,

The ebb and flow of you emotions is really coming though your blog. Keep up the good work!

I think you're holding good old Jon to an impossible standard. Anyone can have a bad show here and there.

If you're looking for a pure satirical ridicule of pop culture, reality TV, lame sitcoms (I guess that really covers all current sitcoms) and A & B list celebs., and TV programming in general you need to watch The Soup on E!.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Um yeah. Somehow Joel McHale doesn't quite cut it for me. I like his beer commercials though.
Thanks for reading, again.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home